What is Hard Water?
Hard water is the result of having calcium (limestone), magnesium, and other positively charged ions dissolved in your water. While the water softener was designed to remove calcium and magnesium, it will also remove other positively charged ions including lead, radium, and iron. Calcium & magnesium have quite a few inconvenient effects in modern living.
An easy analogy to think of the difference between how hard and soft water dissolve soap is to think of the soap as playing a game of “musical chairs” in your water. In soft water, the soap has no problem finding an empty “seat” (dissolving in your water). But in hard water, the hardness ions take up most of the “seats,” and there’s nowhere for the soap to “sit down” (dissolve in the water), so the soap sadly gets left behind on your skin, hair, or bathtub (think of the scum ring in your bathtub).
Go green and reduce your carbon footprint (while saving some money) by having a water softener installed in your home. Soft water allows appliances (such as your water heater) to run more efficiently, extends the life of your plumbing and appliances, and allows soaps, cleaners, and detergents to dissolve completely, which allows you to cut down on consumption.
Benefits of a Water Softener
Water Softener Benefits:
- Reduce your carbon footprint (while saving some money). A carbon footprint, as google dictionary defines it, is “The amount of carbon dioxide emitted due to the consumption of fossil fuels by a particular person, group, etc.” A household’s second highest contributor to its carbon footprint is its hot water heater. The following table from the Battele Memorial Institute demonstrates a 14.4% reduction in carbon footprint per kilogram of water in natural gas, storage type hot water heater.
- Shiny clean dishes, silverware, pots, pans, and cutlery. A water softener/conditioner will allow the dishwasher detergent to fully dissolve, then rinse cleanly off. That means no more chalky white spots or that grimy feeling on your dishes, silverware, pots, pans, and cutlery. Soft water also allows your dishwasher to run more efficiently, saving energy and reducing your carbon footprint. (1)
- Ridiculously softer hair and skin. A water softener/conditioner will allow all the soaps and shampoos to fully dissolve and richly lather, then wash cleanly off. This allows you to not only use less soap and shampoo, but also switch to more natural brands without the harsh chemical additives. These chemical additives were invented specifically to combat hard water. This also helps with dry itchy skin – one doesn’t feel dry and itchy when he or she is done washing.
- Save money on expensive appliance replacement. A water Softener will extend the life of any appliance that uses water, such as dishwashers, water heaters, washers, coffee makers, ice makers, boilers, faucets, radiators, and coffee makers/Keurig Brewers. It will also allow them to run more efficiently. This is because a water softener/conditioner will remove the minerals that precipitate out and build up inside your appliances and insulate the heating elements in appliances. This saves you money on your energy bill and you can live a bit greener. The savings in electricity and appliance repair and replacement over time will by far exceed the onetime expense of a water softener/conditioner and the minimal cost of salt.
- Softer, brighter, and longer lasting clothes and fabrics. Hard water hinders laundry detergent from fully dissolving and rinsing clean. A water softener will allow the use less laundry detergent, wash cycles at a lower temperature, and keep your whites staying white – without the grimy gray shading caused by the mineral and detergent deposits. According to Scientific Services, soft water is “the most effective in improving stain removal” when compared to increased detergent and water temperature. (2)
- No more ugly scale build up on shower heads and around faucets!
- Preserve the plumbing in your home. A water softener will take out the minerals that will precipitate out, deposit, and possibly clog your house’s plumbing, drains, and toilets over time.
- Easier cleaning. Use up to 75% less cleaning detergents and save cleaning time by eliminating the annoying soap scum rings on sinks, bathtubs, and other fixtures.
Water Softener/Conditioner Salt Delivery
Water Softener/Conditioner Repair:
Certified Water Services can also repair all brands of water softeners/conditioners, including: Aqua Pure, Culligan, Sears, Fleck, GE, Autotrol, Erie, Clack, Hague, Kinetico, Ionics, and others.
Have a broken water softener? Call Certified Water Services today for prompt service, 215-968-8860.
Water Softener/Conditioner Salt Delivery
Water Softener/Conditioner salt delivery:
Let Certified Water Services deliver your salt! Call Certified Water Services today at 215-968-8860.